Monday 20 June 2016

Sister-E, You Left Too Soon!


SISTER-E, YOU LEFT TOO SOON!
     The last time I checked, I learnt I could no longer see nor interact with the amiable and quintessential Director General (DG) of the famous Imo Broadcasting Corporation (IBC). Evang (Mrs.) Esther Obong Egbuna popularly known as ‘Sister E’ by her teeming friends and fans. When I asked the reason for such assertion which sounded totally weird and irrational, I was instantly told that she had gone to meet with her creator; suffice it to say that she’s not anymore of this world.
     As a realist, as days unfold, the awful reality attached to the aforementioned information continued to dawn on me, but yet, I still find it extremely difficult to concur with the informants. Though I have seen the enlarged picture of the so-called deceased person accompanied by a condolence register displayed outside her Owerri residence, I’m yet seriously trying to fathom the real meaning of the façade that seems not unlike a jamboree.
     This is why on the said register, towards condoling myself, I managed to write ‘Sister-E, please where are you?’ I wanted her to whisper to me where actually she was, so I could go and talk to her; I wanted to let her realize that I was really missing her presence, thus she needed to come back. Even when I arrived at the residence, I told those around that I wanted to see Sister-E, but they told me that ‘she has gone’. Then I asked, what did you mean by ‘she has gone’? Someone unequivocally responded ‘she’s dead!’ That was when I slightly became sober or came back to my senses, and consequently was covered with tears.
     Sister-E, years ago when you joyfully tied the nuptial knots with my beloved uncle, Chief Dr Chike Egbuna (Mr Soul), now late, little did I know that both of you had an arrangement to respectively leave the world when your loved ones needed you most. Even when my uncle unexpectedly left some years back, I never knew you would soon join him. Well, I wouldn’t know; did you join your hubby or your dad who you buried barely few months back? My mum, Mrs Vero Nwaozor (Nee Egbuna) has been consistently asking me ‘Doc, are you sure it is true?’ I don’t know what else to tell her. The only thing she does right now is, weeping.
      Sister E, you would have waited at least a little further before embarking on this eternal odyssey. You were so young, vibrant, healthy and of course hearty. It was no doubt very, very early for you to depart unannounced. No trace of ailment or what have you prior to your departure. Frankly, your so-called eternal exit is making this world seem so scary to my person.
     Besides, you left when the broadcasting world needed your well experienced services most. Your broadcasting prowess and ingenuity, just like that of your late husband – ‘Mr Soul’, is indeed very rare in this part of the world. Whenever you anchored a programme or read the news, a radio-set became irresistible to everyone far and near owing to your gifted charming accent. You undoubtedly carved a niche for yourself in the media industry. Look at how you transformed IBC comprising Orient-FM and Orient-TV within a short while.
     On the 1st of May 2016 which was coincidently your birthday, I could remember I chatted with you via cell phone as regards your newest giant stride in IBC. The chat read in parts, ‘Greetings, my able DG. You have broken a record having made Orient-FM to be reckoned the first Radio station in the East to broadcast for 24/7. Bravo!!!’ And you gladly replied ‘Thanks Doc. We give GOD all the glory…’ And you equally reminded me that that very day was your birthday.
      I got to realize the latest achievement, which is highly commendable, the moment I returned to the state having being away for some time. I was even planning to appreciate you here on this column regarding the wonderful accomplishment, among others which you’ve recorded since you became the DG of the firm in question; little did I know that death would wickedly and abruptly snatch you away from me at this very critical moment.
     Come to think of it; who did you leave Michael for? Your darling Michael has been so lonely; why not come back, at least for his sake? I could recollect, in one of my recent conversations with you on phone, you told me that Michael is now in his fourth year in FUTO. Consequently, I teased you ‘Sister-E, so you can now boast of a child in 400 Level?’ And you responded elatedly ‘Is God’s doing, my brother’. After the conversation, within me I was of the strong view that my late uncle, even in grave, would be immensely proud of you for having ensured that his beloved son, Michael got to that level by this time. Sister E, the truth is that Michael your boy is now so lean; he has obviously missed you.
     What about your lovely and loving mother? An ever cheerful woman is now looking like a forgotten river. She’s even too young to go by this time, let alone you; but who am I to query God? The last time I saw her, she wished you remain here on earth while she embark on the journey on your behalf. She was announcing the wish amidst profound sobbing. Until I met her, aside Michael, I never knew someone else could miss you more than me.
     We shared good times together; the joy I received each time you called on phone to register your appreciation whenever you saw my article was overwhelming, just to say the least. You were so supportive; just barely few weeks ago, you asked me to do my best and leave the rest for God my creator. The unending words of encouragement, which I would live to recall, were enormous. Each time I came to your office in IBC, you felt so glad having me around. You weren’t just a model or an aunt to me; you were as well a sister and friend; a friend indeed! No doubt, I knew you candidly loved me. I realized the love your late husband shared with my mum was equally the love we both shared; in other words, love can be transferred.
     Oh death! You chose to remember me at this time I need more supporters and loved ones. Sister E, I want to believe you’re not dead; rather, you only went on a leave or for a break, because I know death cannot possibly defeat you. Hence, I plead with you to quit this unsolicited leave, which you commenced on Wednesday 8th of June 2016 and return to us because your absence is seriously telling on us as I drop this message amid intense tears.
     The gospel truth remains that, your name isn’t even among those written at the bottom of the list of persons meant to go for such leave at this time. Think about it!

Comr Fred Doc Nwaozor
(TheMediaAmbassador)
-Public Affairs analyst & Civil Rights activist-
Chief Executive Director, Centre for Counselling, Research
& Career Development - Owerri
_____________________________________
frednwaozor@gmail.com
+2348028608056
Twitter: @mediambassador 
        
       

No comments:

Featured post

UZODINMA AND BUHARI’S ‘WORKING VISIT’ TO IMO

by Fred Nwaozor The last time I checked, Imo was conspicuously at it again, hence needs to be re-examined by all-concerned for the good ...

MyBlog

Language Translation

ARCHIVE