Monday 28 November 2016

Ndi Imo, Let's Forge Ahead!


NDI IMO, LET’S FORGE AHEAD!
        The last time I checked, Imo remained a specially and beautifully made state, that, everyone could testify to it. The fact, not assertion, is conspicuous, thus does not need to be refuted by anyone who truly comprehends what the state is made of. It has no doubt been a state to reckon with since its creation, and continued to thrive relentlessly to be the best among equals.
         Several factors make Imo a great and unique state amongst others. While discussing education, it would invariably be at the forefront; it is the only state in Nigeria that has, for the umpteenth time, recorded the highest number of candidates in external examinations such as the Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination (UTME).
         Imo has obviously produced countless great men and women, and still producing more. Even a-day-old child in the state appears great. This is the reason anyone who leads the ancient province needn’t be told to be extremely careful and cautious of every step he takes at all times. On the other hand, there is far possibility of having a great man as the state’s governor at all times; and ab inito great men have really been leading the state, to the best of my knowledge.
        Owing to the exemplary idiosyncrasies of the Eastern Heartland, any person known to be its governor stands the chances of emerging as one of the most, if not the most, famous governor across the country. Going down the memory lane till date, you may want to concur with my theory. The truth is, Imo is synonymous with greatness, thus any individual who is a member or an affiliate of the state, is liable to have greatness attached to his/her person.
         Let’s I digress, it’s time I became succinct. Since I found myself in the public domain as an analyst cum activist, I have relentlessly tried to use both my pen and tongue, as the case may be, to let people comprehend that whenever I write or say anything pertaining to the state, I invariably take my precious time to carry out the assignment towards ensuring that I wouldn’t end up causing more harm than good. I do this because I’m aware, as a state made up of great people, a little lapse in any analysis would be misinterpreted. Hence, I often take my time before I write on anything; I don’t write because others are writing, neither do I talk because others are talking.
        Few weeks ago while I was away in Minna, the Niger State capital, someone called from the state, as usual, to give me the latest. Whilst on the phone, he told me that the governor, Chief Rochas Okorocha had instructed that every taxable adult in each community in the state ought to henceforth be paying three thousand naira (#3,000) to the state’s coffer as development levy. According to the governor, the tax would help in development thrive in the existing 637 autonomous communities in the state. Before he could finish, I told him that a fellow had already called from West Germany, Europe to intimate me on the news. He was deeply surprised that the news had already gone viral within that shortest interval.
        Penultimate week on this column, I did a work on diabetes in respect of the just commemorated World Diabetes Day. Consequently, most people who called to react to the column unequivocally told me that, though my topic for the week was fantastic, they were expecting I would do something on the proposed #3000 levy. According to them, I’m good in writing issues on matters arising from current political affairs, thus didn’t see reason I refused to maintain the tempo.
         I knew they were all sounding selfish. Because if they were not, there was no how they wouldn’t comprehend that the topic that surfaced in the last edition was far more important than a mere proposal to pay #3000 as a ‘development’ levy, which I have already described as laughable. Again, they were so impatient to realize that there was still enormous time to write on the subject matter in question, if truly I had a plan to do so.
        There was something I couldn’t tell them on phone, and I want to drop the message here. I have learnt to overlook some of the things coming from the state’s number one citizen ever since I observed that he enjoys adding humour to leadership, which to me, isn’t a bad idea or lifestyle. I’ve painstakingly understood that Governor Okorocha is humorous in nature, thus he often like to employ his sense of humour in whatever he does. He doesn’t really mean everything he says. Honestly. I enjoy his presence as well as speeches owing to this very quality possessed by him. He’s indeed a rare personality.
        If you don’t understand the governor, you would continue to have problem with him and his leadership style. That is why it is believed that, understanding is the major factor that can sustain any relationship irrespective of its type. If you are dealing with someone, endeavour to understand his/her real person; if you do, I bet you, you would hardly have issues with him/her. As a result of Gov. Okorocha’s humorous attribute, sometimes he sounds controversial, even when he doesn’t mean to create any controversy.
        Since I understood his person, unlike those days when I was yet to know him, I have decided to overlook some of his comments, so that, I wouldn’t end up constituting more trouble in the name of trying to let the governor see reason he should have a rethink on whatever unbearable issue he had raised. I’m equally appealing to Imolites to borrow a leaf from my person, so that, they wouldn’t suffer from hypertension. Rather than letting some of his policies affect your emotions negatively, try to laugh over it – just for your own good. The governor seems to mean well for the state, but due to misunderstanding, most of his moves are usually misinterpreted by his subjects.
         I would only advise the governor to know when to crack joke, and when not. Cracking such expensive joke amidst a recessionary era appears to be an act of insensitivity. You wouldn’t expect me to start advising the amiable governor to drop the idea of collecting #3000 from every taxable adult in the state, because to me, such agitation shouldn’t even be listened to let alone discussing it. Think about it!  

Comr Fred Doc Nwaozor
Follow: @mediambassador  

No comments:

Featured post

UZODINMA AND BUHARI’S ‘WORKING VISIT’ TO IMO

by Fred Nwaozor The last time I checked, Imo was conspicuously at it again, hence needs to be re-examined by all-concerned for the good ...

MyBlog

Language Translation

ARCHIVE