Tuesday 13 June 2017

ShortStory I Unbelievable! (II)



UNBELIEVABLE! (II)
       “And you told me he is your childhood friend?” quoth Chiamaka as they were both seated on the bed, remained in sober mood. “This is unbelievable!”
        Mr. Emeka Okoro was cold, couldn’t fathom the accusation alleged by his wife. “Wait a minute,” he urged. “You mean, the man seated out there was the person who robbed you on that day?”
       “So I am lying, or?”
       “It’s not that I am calling you a liar.” Emeka clarified. “Just that I am trying to figure it out.” he said, paused. “I am very confused here.”
       “Figure what out?” she quarreled. “I can see you are not what you claim to be.”
       “What exactly are you insinuating?” He inquired.
       “Insinuating?” quoth Chiamaka. “Isn’t it obvious that I have been married to an armed robber who poses as a trader…?”
       “How could you say such a thing?” Emeka interrupted. “Haven’t you seen my shops?”
        Emeka who was a dealer of household plastic materials, had about three shops situated at different localities in the city of Onitsha, Anambra State where he alongside his family equally resided.
       “Those shops could be a disguise, of course.” She thought aloud, looking elsewhere.
       “A disguse?” quoth Emeka. “A disguise you said.” he reiterated, paused. “So you have suddenly lost your trust in me?”
        As the melodrama lingered, the 42-year-old Mr. Mezie Alozie was anxiously seated at the house lounge longing for Emeka’s return from the bedroom to brief him on what actually prompted the abrupt change of mood displayed by his wife. He had waited for almost fifteen minutes to no avail as he overheard the couple nagging in the room, though couldn’t fathom what they were really discussing. He had no choice than to continue awaiting the host, and probably his wife.
       “What else do you what me to say?” Chiamaka ranted.
        Emeka was calm, speechless. From his countenance and thoughts, the wife was making sense as regards her presumptions.
       “I am asking you,” she said. “What else do you what to hear from me?”
         He remained mute, felt not unlike a docked person.
       “A man told his wife that he was expecting a childhood friend.” she continued. “Only for her to notice that the expected guest is an armed robber.”
         Emeka couldn’t utter a word, seemed lifeless.
       “How do you explain this?” queried Chiamaka. “No, tell me?”
         Since Emeka knew too well that Mezie was an ex-convict, he had no reason to doubt his wife’s allegation. Besides, the incident in question as was narrated by Chiamaka transpired in Lagos State where Mezie mainly reigned as an armed robber, thus the trueness of her claim wasn’t far-fetched. Emeka was only trying to find a way he would exonerate himself, or convince his lovely wedded wife that he – being her hubby – had never indulged himself in any social-vice let alone robbery. It was very difficult for him to actualize this, because he lied to her in the first place by not letting her realize the real identity of the guest they were expecting.
       “Going by what is on ground,” Chiamaka proceeded. “Who on earth wouldn’t believe that you are a robber?”
      “Enough of this…” Emeka roared, frowned.
      “Rather than telling me what I want to hear,” she said. “You have chosen to shout at me, right?”
      “I am sorry.” He confessed, became so moody.
      “Tell me,” Chiamaka tenderly uttered, looking into his eyes. “What is going on?” she inquired, paused. “Is there anything you are not telling me?”
       “Yes,” Emeka affirmed, stood up. “There’s one thing I didn’t tell you.” He disclosed, backing her.
        Chiamaka shivered, became mute and attentive.
       “But,” he rode on. “I am afraid, if you would believe me.” He said, stood still, still backing her.
        She calmly stood up, walked to where he was, and faced him. “You know I have always believed you since six years now we are married.” She enthused, paused. “All I want to hear is nothing but the truth.”
        He left her, walked to the bed and sat down. “Mezie who is seated out there,” he said. “Is an ex-convict.” He eventually revealed, looking up to her as she stood aloof.
        “What did you just say?” Chiamaka uttered, hurriedly joined him at the bed.
       “I said,” quoth Emeka. “He is an ex-convict.” He reiterated.
       “An ex what?”
       “Yes,” he answered. “He was released from the prison barely one month ago.”
       “What..!” Chiamaka exclaimed, placing her hands on her head. “This is getting more confusing.” She asserted. “So, what are you doing with an ex-convict?” She managed to inquire.
        “When he was into the act, I never knew,” he proceeded. “Till he was arrested.” he notified, took a deep breath. “It was when the news of his arrest got to the public domain, that I realized who truly he was.”
         Chiamaka was deeply bemused, could not believe her ears.
       “Now that he is out of prison, I can’t despise him.” he continued. “Because, we have known each other from Adam.”
       “But why didn’t you tell me all these when we were expecting him?”
       “I didn’t think it was necessary.” Emeka responded. “I was only trying to avoid anything that could make you not to join me in welcoming him.”
        After all said and done, she outrightly believed him as usual. He as well used the opportunity to plead with her to forgive Mezie, opining that he was now a changed person entirely.
       Mezie on his part, having been thoroughly intimated on what actually occasioned Chiamaka’s sudden change of attitude, equally asked for her forgiveness and went further to strongly assure that he would never go back to such obnoxious lifestyle again. In accordance with the plea coupled with assurance, she therein forgave him wholeheartedly.
       Months later, Mr. Mezie Alozie emerged as a true anointed man of God with the sole purpose of winning souls for the Creator. His church – Holy Ghost Evangelical Ministry – witnessed overwhelming congregants on a regular basis. And, it would interest you to note that Mr. and Mrs. Emeka Okoro were part of the founding members of the outreach.

** The End **

FDN Nwaozor
Executive Director, Docfred Resource Clinic - Owerri
___________________________________
Twitter: @mediambassador            
http://facebook.com/fred4nwaozor  
         

No comments:

Featured post

UZODINMA AND BUHARI’S ‘WORKING VISIT’ TO IMO

by Fred Nwaozor The last time I checked, Imo was conspicuously at it again, hence needs to be re-examined by all-concerned for the good ...

MyBlog

Language Translation

ARCHIVE