Monday 24 February 2014

The Dawn of a New Era in Oru East LGA

THE DAWN OF ANOTHER ERA IN ORU EAST LGA: MY CANDID NOTE TO THE TC-CHAIRMAN

Brethren, today is truly bright or would I say, it’s grinning at us. Having noted the worthwhile countenance of this day, apparently, throughout today would yield a thing of joy. Thus, we’re indeed convinced that, nature has once again ushered us into another joyous day.

Personally, each time I wake up from my long-lasted night slumber, I usually ask myself a certain question which may seem peculiar to you all. A question that remains constant and consistent to my entire person. And the question is, “How would my name sound to my people today?” When I say ‘my people’, I mean all those who have been by my side, which includes my friends, fans, relatives, well-wishers, colleagues (associates), and as well my kinsmen.

Penultimate month, January 2 to be precise, I was opportune to dine with my old time friends from different walks of life, at Owerri metropolis. In the midst of the pleasant conversation, one of us raised a point in respect to the present Nigerian political system. Conclusively, we unanimously agreed that, politics has abruptly become a “business venture” to most Nigerian politicians. But at last, I succeeded in convincing them that there’s a way forward to such ugly scenario; though time and space may not permit me to disclose the candid opinion I submitted to that assembly (forum) which was made-up of fully learned men and women from different parts of Imo State.

Please, kindly pardon the digression, though it was consequential and relevant because, any work or piece without a preamble (preface) or prologue as the case may be, might not be comprehensible to the entire audience or observers. My paramount desire in anything I say or do is to ensure that everyone understands my language or footstep respectively. Let’s ride on!

On Thursday January 23 - 2014, a remarkable history was recorded in Oru East Local Government Area (LGA). It was the day a new Transition Committee (TC) Chairman was inaugurated for the said LGA, alongside other LGAs in Imo State, by the Governor of the State, Chief Rochas Okorocha. An inauguration that was long awaited by the entire people of Oru East due to the implicit respect they have for the appointee, Barr. Obinna Augustus Amagwula.

No doubt, a tangible history was made on that fateful day the aforementioned Barrister was sworn in. This singular opinion was due to several conclusions I’ve arrived at; from my sole observation, Hon. Amagwula is a practicing Lawyer par Excellence, an exuberant and competent youth, a gentleman to the core, and one who hails from a parental background of no questionable character. As a bona-fide indigene of Oru-East, Awo-Omamma precisely which the person in question also hails from, I’m in a good and better position to observe every bit of his person or image.

                                   Hon. Amagwula Addressing His People After His Inauguration

Of course with no atom of skepticism, a young man who single-handedly cited the “Imo Anthem” to his people’s delight during the occasion of his assumption of office at the Council headquarters – Omuma on Monday 27th January – 2014, deserves to be addressed as an ‘exuberant and competent’ youth. I also want to bring to your notice that Hon. Amagwula who’s the Chairman of the Coalition of Imo State Lawyers based in Abuja, was a member of the Counsel that brought the recent victory to the eminent Governor of Imo State at the Apex Court, by the special grace of the Almighty. In the same vein, he has been crowned by his people as the youngest serving TC – Chairman in the whole of Imo State. And if properly checked, he ought to be one of the youngest Council Chairmen, if not the youngest, that has ever been produced in Imo State. These and more are some of the reasons the people of Oru East see him as the right person that can deliver the Council or that would lead the Council to its desired promise-land. Suffice to say that, they’ve tagged him as the “Moses” of their time. No wonder, the overall members of Oru Youths Platform (OYOPLA), an umbrella body for all the youths in Oru Ancient Kingdom - which comprises of Oru East/West LGAs, addressed the recognition as “Placing a round peg in a round hole”. Mind you, I’m not eulogizing anyone here; frankly I’m just earning my view based on my observation as a concerned social analyst.

At this juncture, I wish to unequivocally use this avenue to submit my candid note (advice) to my newly inaugurated TC – Chairman, Hon. Barr. Obinna Amagwula, if truly he wants his administration to yield the best so far. The proposed advice is also applicable to other TC – Chairmen in Imo State.

First and foremost, I urge him to be a forgiving leader. He should be willing to forgive people at all times; most especially, those whom must have wronged him at the long-run. Thus, he ought to endeavour to give everyone a sense of belonging.

Secondly, he should be very observant. He’s expected to know every bit of what’s happening in the Council in its entirety. Therefore, he must stretch out his tentacles to the lengths and breadths of all the six major towns comprising of ninety Autonomous Communities that make up the LGA. So, he’s expected to increase his level of sensitivity, but ought to pay less attention to inconsequential and trivial issues. Most importantly, he must beware of sycophants.

Thirdly, he ought to grant all his subjects a listening ear; most especially, members of his Transition Committee (TC). I urge him to carry everyone along, thus, must shun any iota of segregation. Listen to everything, but don’t utilize or make use of all.

Fourthly, I expect my Honourable Chairman to be tolerant at all occasions. Please Sir, welcome every advice or comment from the opposition, the elders, present and past leaders of the Council, your fellow youths; even the children or toddlers are not left out. Please keep your door widely open for criticisms because they must surely surface. Criticism, antagonism, sycophancy, rumour mongering and what have you, are natural; they’re as old as the world, if not older. Even Christ was criticized. Nevertheless, bear it in mind that constructive criticism is a worthwhile gesture; it enables any administration or government to grow adequately. Let’s proceed!

Fifthly, he should always be courageous. Never he embrace despair irrespective of the circumstance. Lately, I’ve come to realize that, despair is one of the grievous sins, if not the worst, in existence. So my dear brother and friend, do not allow any pressure or distraction becloud your reasoning faculty or sense of reasoning.

Inter alia, I sincerely urge him to be transparent. As a leader that is largely accepted by his people which is not unconnected to how the members of the Council turned out en masse on the day he assumed duty, he should invariably come closer to them, so that, they can easily access him. He ought to run an open door policy to enable his people know him too well. Be open to all; do not despise any person or group regardless of age, background or status. On this note, you should constantly and consistently call for an Assembly which must involved every member of the Council including the opposition. Such gesture would be an avenue where everybody would be expected to earn his/her view. You would also use the medium to inform them on what your administration has done so far, and the way forward.

Above all, he should often endeavour to wear a human face whenever he’s with his people or addressing any issue, no matter how sad or devastating the matter might be. Thus, I sincerely urge him to always control his emotions. In other words, let his emotions be under his control. I’m not a lawyer, but I wish to rest my case at this point. A word is enough for the wise.

My able and impeccable Chairman, I’m of the view that, if you wholly absorb the above note, Oru East LGA which has been known for years to be a byword for sycophancy and hypocrisy, would be an LGA to positively reckon with in near future. Honestly you require nothing but the best out of this concernment because this is just your stepping stone. Besides, you don’t deserve any honour such as “Second Best”; rather, what you deserve is “Second to None”.

Don’t forget; each time you wake up from sleep, endeavour to ask yourself, “how would my name sound to my people today?” Think about it, while I continue to pray for you, your administration and the entire Oru East!

_____________________

FRED NWAOZOR

frednwaozor@gmail.com

No comments:

Featured post

UZODINMA AND BUHARI’S ‘WORKING VISIT’ TO IMO

by Fred Nwaozor The last time I checked, Imo was conspicuously at it again, hence needs to be re-examined by all-concerned for the good ...

MyBlog

Language Translation

ARCHIVE