Monday 5 December 2016

Tainted Omen (II)


TAINTED OMEN (II)

    “Jessy,” Jessica’s mum, Mrs. Rita Annan called as she entered into her (Jessica’s) room.
    The encounter was taking place immediately after Jessica’s return from Kumasi. She had arrived home at about 7:45pm (GMT) after the ugly experience she encountered at Francis’ home. The moment she got home, she snubbed her parents, Hon and Mrs. Annan who were seated at the sitting room when she arrived; she walked passed them and went straight to her bedroom looking pale and rejected, thus her mum followed her to the room to ascertain what was actually wrong. The parents had earlier been making frantic effort to reach her via her cell phone but the gadget wasn’t reachable.
     On his part, her dad Hon Mike Annan who had sensed what could be the problem was still seated in the parlour seemed like an armed robber in the police net who would soon be charged to court. Since he got married to his wife, Rita, he was yet to share with her what he did to his girlfriend called Kate when he was still single in spite of his eventual encounter with Francis, which would have propelled him to do so.
     “Mum.” Jessica responded in a very low tone as she lied bitterly in her bed.
     She went to the bed as soon as she entered the room having removed her foot-wears; never minded to undress herself.
     Her mum walked closer, sat at the edge of the bed. “What’s wrong with you?” She inquired. “Besides, what happened to your phone?”
     “I switched it off.”
     “Why?”
      Jessica was speechless.
     “Jessy, talk to me,” Mrs. Rita urged. “This is supposed to be one of your happiest moments; on the contrary, you are looking rejected.”
     “That’s the issue, mum.” She hinted, began to sob.
     “Oh my God,” Mrs. Annan exclaimed. “What’s wrong with you?”
      She sobbed heavily. “Go and ask daddy.” She managed to utter amid the weep.
     “Your dad?” Mrs. Rita verified. “You mean, my husband?” She reiterated, placing her left hand on her chest, seemed mesmerized.      
     Jessica nodded. “Yes mum.” She replied in a jiffy.
     “Is okay, is okay.” Mrs. Annan surrendered. “I will be right back.” She assured, stood up and dashed out of the room.
     “Has she confided in you?” Hon Mike inquired anxiously the moment his wife joined him in the parlour, still seated.
      Mrs. Rita walked closer, sat very adjacent to him. “No,” she responded hesitantly. “She refused to speak.”
     “What could be the problem?” Hon Mike thought aloud.
     “That’s why I am here,” quoth Mrs. Rita calmly. “She said I should ask you.”
     “Ask me?”
     “Yes.”
     “Of what?”
     “I don’t know,” she said. “But the way she sounded, it appeared you know much about what she’s passing through.”
     “She just returned from Kumasi,” quoth Hon Mike. “And both of us have been here waiting for her arrival.” He said, paused.
      His wife was quiet and attentive.
     “So, how would I know her plight?” He rode on in pretence. “When did I become a prophet…?”
     Before he could finish the last sentence, Jessica joined them in the parlour, really appeared pale having wiped out her tears. “Dad, you are aware of my predicament,” she interrupted. “Stop pretending.” She emphatically enjoined, standing.
     Her mum looked at her in awe. “What exactly is going on here.” She eventually uttered. 
     Hon Mike was left with no choice than to tell the tale which was long overdue, thus he began to speak therein.
    “You did this to a woman?” Mrs. Annan ranted after the story, which lasted for about fifteen minutes. “My fellow woman?” She added.
     “Dad, you are wicked and heartless.” Jessica shouted, forcedly sat on one of the white cushion chairs in the room.
     “You were lucky she didn’t pour you acid.” Mrs. Rita notified furiously, looked weird. Paused.
      There was a brief tranquility.
     “And, you never bothered to tell me all these while,” she continued. “Not even your daughter who is dating her son.”
     “I am very, very sorry for the inconveniences I have caused you both.” Hon Mike broke his silence. “Just that, I thought I would cause more harm than good if I shared the story with you, especially Jessy.” He concocted.
    “You thought?” His wife quarreled. “Just listen to yourself.”
     Jessica was speechless, looked mean in her seat.
     It was about 8:30pm (GMT)
    “So, why did you do that to her?” Mrs. Rita inquired, referring to the jilted Mrs. Kate.
    “Someone told me he caught her with another man,” Hon Mike hesitantly replied. “So I couldn’t imagine settling down with a cheat.”
    “Someone told you…?” quoth Mrs. Rita. “You amuse me.” She added, paused.
     Jessica shook her head.
    “That means,” Mrs. Annan proceeded. “Someone can as well tell you I am cheating on you, and you would attempt to divorce me without finding out the truth?”
     “I really messed up,” Hon Mike appreciated. “I was even ashamed of myself.”
     “I wish all your children are here to listen to you.” His wife said.
      Jessica was the first child of the couple, and none of her four siblings – all males, were living with the family.
     “Please, let’s stop this blame game,” Hon Mike pleaded. “Right now, we should be concerned with how to make amends.”
     “So, what do we do?” Mrs. Rita enquired having seen reason with him.
     “I suggest we pay them an unscheduled visit.” Hon Mike said. “Thank God she’s happily married too, so she wouldn’t take it too hard on us.” He foresaw, referring to Mrs. Kate.
     “I pray your thought becomes a reality,” quoth Mrs. Annan. “Because I can’t afford to watch my daughter remain in this tattered mood.”
      Jessica stood up calmly, walked back to her bedroom.
     “My dear, take it easy, okay?” Mrs. Rita conscientized Jessica as she (Jessica) took her leave. “All will be alright.” She added, still seated alongside her hubby.
     First thing the following day being Sunday, the three embarked on a journey to Kumasi for the proposed tour. When they got to their destination, their unannounced visit was highly welcomed by the intended hosts, if not the aggrieved Mrs. Kate Ababio who felt like releasing a bullet on the man she had described as a monster; initially, she couldn’t withstand sharing the sitting room with him until her hubby, Chief Ababio sensitized her on the need to do otherwise.
     Hon Annan on his part was very calm and silent, but his wife pleaded on his behalf while kneeling down. “I am your fellow woman,” quoth Mrs. Annan having made several pleas. “I understand exactly how you feel.” She landed, stood up and resumed her seat.
     “My dear,” Chief Ababio called his wife. “Please forgive him...” He asked.
     “Mum, please…” Francis interrupted.
     “If not for anything,” Chief Ababio rode on. “At least, for the sake of these children.” He said, pointing at Francis and Jessica who were closely seated.
     “Please.., Kate.” Hon Annan finally uttered. “That was one of the biggest mistakes I have ever made in my life.” He submissively asserted.
     “I have forgiven you.” Mrs. Kate notified with much ado, smiled.
      Everywhere became agog on that Sunday morning on hearing the last statement. Everyone present including Francis younger ones who were privileged to witness the reconciliation couldn’t hide their joy. At the end, unalloyed harmony was felt among them.
    Behold, the taint eventually metamorphosed into a condiment!
    Two months later, Engr. Francis Ababio walked down the aisle with the bride of the moment, Miss Jessica Annan. It was a remarkable and epoch-making event, to the glory of God.

Follow me: @mediambassador
http://facebook.com/fred4nwaozor
   

  

No comments:

Featured post

UZODINMA AND BUHARI’S ‘WORKING VISIT’ TO IMO

by Fred Nwaozor The last time I checked, Imo was conspicuously at it again, hence needs to be re-examined by all-concerned for the good ...

MyBlog

Language Translation

ARCHIVE