Tuesday 3 September 2013

Fear of the Unknown

FEAR OF THE UNKNOWN: A WORTHLESS SYNDROME


A good friend of mine once shared one of his terrible ordeals with me on one fateful evening. Before he commenced, he let me realized that the story was strictly personal, therefore, I shouldn’t let a third party know about it. Apparently, he confided in me. But brethren, at this juncture I wish to break out of my normal reticence and tell you the whole story. Though, I won’t let him down. Thus, his identity will not be disclosed. Moreover, I sought for his consent. And, he asked me to proceed provided his identity won’t be disclosed. So, I’ve the ticket. The passport. The visa. The authority. The power of attorney. Above all, the license to proceed. Since the story can convert or redirect one of two souls, why should I let it die with me? The story shouldn’t remain in bondage. It’s forbidden. It’s sacrilegious. It’s not encouraging. Of course, it lacks ethics or tradition. Tradition demands that, you tell others what shall make them live long. It’s a fact. Yes, a fancy fact.

The story goes like this; he solemnly disclosed to me that he made ‘third class’ in his bachelor’s degree, Bachelor of Science to be precise. A personal issue he never thought of sharing with any friend. Only the members of his immediate family were aware of it. He kept on influencing the grade each time he had a chat or an encounter with anyone who cared to know what he graduated with. Due to the possession of a low grade, he was so lackadaisical towards applying for any job even when he was asked/mandated to do so. To him, he was a total failure. He never thought of anything right. All he could think of was nothing but the end of the road. Failure. Vulnerability. Hallucination indeed! But who told him he was vulnerable? Brethren, fear of the unknown. I warned him to desist his mental status from such myopic and deadly feeling. That was not even the end of the story. I tried to find out from him why he graduated with a low grade because I used to know him as a brilliant chap during our secondary schools days in Lagos State. And, he was still showcasing same brilliant idiosyncrasy after graduation as I could testify. I knew he wouldn’t hesitate to respond to my question since he had made up his mind to share the story of his life with me. And, he wasn’t disingenuous at all. According to him, while in the university, his father was suffering from a severe ailment; kidney failure precisely. Being the first child of the family, he was psychologically disturbed due tohis father’s illness. There was no time he could find himself reading or listening to lecture comfortably. In fact, he was a quarter baked student throughout his undergraduate programme. His optimum fear was that, if he loses his father, definitely he was finished. Fear of the unknown! His father was a successful civil servant and the breadwinner of the troubled family. His marriage was blessed with five children; three males and two females. Luckily for him, some of his colleagues and club associates volunteered to take him to oversea for a medical operation. And, the operation was successful. Then, my friend was on his project. He had already rounded off his degree exams out of his usual mental instability, Today, his beloved father still lives. What a story!

I shouldn’t blame my friend for his psychological imbalance or uncertainty because being human, the circumstance called for it. But, he should have acknowledged the fact that, God still liveth. He would had looked unto Him and face his studies. I repeat, he was not mistaken with his unwanted feelings because he was afraid of losing everything. No man born of a woman would like to lose everything he has. Not even me. But let’s ask ourselves; if we eventually lose everything or all our treasures, have we lost God? Brethren, if anyone could be occupied with the feeling of losing his/her creator, then, that is absolute madness. Yes, he/she must be definitely insane. Come to think of it; why should my dear friend nurture the feeling of being a failure because he possesses a third-class honour or a ‘low grade’? What does grade has to do with one’s potential? If truly you have a certain potential or talent, your grade or CGPA should not in any way be seen as a barrier. Check the list of all the professors in the world. Find out if up to seventy percent (70%) can boast of a second-class honour.

The fact remains determination/focus. And, that is the key. Yes, the only key to that success room. If you had thoroughly checked yourself and find out that you have the brain, talent/potential, and above all, a dream. Then, where comes or lies the barrier/limitation. If truly you can see any barrier in this case, then you’re the barrier. You shouldn’t be weighed down simply because you incidentally or accidentally graduated with a low grade. Such cases or similar issues are attributable to myopic thinking and not a low grade or whatever you may call it. Mark my words adequately. Of course, you shouldn’t be afraid of something you have not seen or are yet to see. To me, it’s crazy. It’s insanity. It’s irritating and disgusting. Wake up brethren! Be brave and smart at all time.

But mind you, I’m not advocating for lousiness while in school or on campus. Your primary aim of being there is nothing but your studies. So, it should be taken seriously. I don’t think there’s anyone who would like to graduate with a low grade even if he’s an imbecile. “A word is enough for the wise”.

Brethren, be reasonable, serious, determined, and alert at every given time. Don’t let any of your past destabilized or destruct your present. Your past should remain your reference point and not your guidance. Above all, be the panacea to your predicament(s). Think about it!

Meanwhile, kindly send your reaction/opinion and it would be welcomed.



COMR. FRED NWAOZOR

frednwaozor@gmail.com

No comments:

Featured post

UZODINMA AND BUHARI’S ‘WORKING VISIT’ TO IMO

by Fred Nwaozor The last time I checked, Imo was conspicuously at it again, hence needs to be re-examined by all-concerned for the good ...

MyBlog

Language Translation

ARCHIVE