Tuesday 3 September 2013

Lack of Reading Habit

LACK OF READING HABIT IN AFRICA


Few days ago, penultimate Wednesday to be precised, I was extremely forlorn. A mood I had never for once imagined to be since I became an adult. Some hours before the day in question, I was celebrating, or joyous, exalted and free. Little did I know that, I would subsequently found myself in a state of poignancy. If I may ask, what really prompted the sudden moment of dismay? A dispiriting moment. A moment that introduced the spiteful and disobliging part of me. A cruel and cursed moment. Brethren, honestly in that moment or period of time, I almost quit my interest in writing. I was about throwing my beloved pen in a rejected waste bin located very close to my lodge. I nearly vacated my duty in society transformation which I have been doing through pen deposition. The vigorous spirit I was known for virtually disappeared. My vivacious nature totally introduced a vitriolic scene. A coarse scene indeed!

Let’s talk about what prompted the sad mood. One of my friends who resides in Calabar, Cross-River State embarked on a brief trip to Owerri. According to him, the trip was meant to last for four days. On the third day being Wednesday, he paid me a visit in my lodge at Owerri as planned. As he walks into the sitting room after a brief knock at the entrance, in his left hand lies a copy of White-paper newspaper, Monday edition to be precised. As soon as he sat down after exchanging a warm pleasantry with me, being a regular columnist in the Monday edition, I asked him how he felt about my work. I concluded that he must had come across the work since the paper had stayed more than fourty-eight (48) hours in his hand. But he responded; which work? I reacted; my column in the paper you’re holding of course. Your column? He asked surprisely. I smiled. At this point, I realized he was yet to embrace my column. I wouldn’t blame the poor man because he was yet to know that I’m a columnist or a social analyst. He only knew me as a contractor; a practising engineer. So, it was far from his imagination. But to be honest, I was bittered because he had all the opportunity to digest all the columns contained in a paper which he had personalized for almost three (3) days. Even if digesting the content of all the columns was an enormous task to him, he should had realized that his bosom friend was one of the columnists. After all, my name didn’t change in the paper, and my humble portrait was still representing Fred Nwaozor. Brethren, I quickly collected the paper from him, went straight to my column and disclosed it to him. He was marveled, shocked, dumbfounded and astonished. His countenance suddenly became irritating to me. Though, that never lasted for more than three seconds. After all, it’s a common phenomenon in our continent, Africa; Nigeria precisely. Honestly, lack of reading habit has betrayed our gifted treasure. I asked my friend if he was yet to go through all the pages in the paper. On the contrary, he said that he has gone through all the pages extensively. And, has even read my column but didn’t take note of the author. I knew he was referring to perusal, not ‘reading’ as he claimed.

Later in the day after my friend’s departure, in my lonely mood, I recollected what transpired during our meeting in respect to reading habit, and was about making up my mind to quit my writing profession since my target audience (the public) are far from it. But what restored my good mood was the issue of the reactions I’ve been receiving since I embarked on this journey. So, I told myself that though few is lackadaisical over reading but many remains a bookworm. I knew I was not telling myself the gospel truth because the reverse is the case. I did that to console myself. But honestly speaking, my last edition on ‘Fear of the Unknown’ which I drew a curtain for reaction(s) signified that many still read. It’s a fact. Yes, a fancy fact. Many are close to the media. On the other hand, many are still far from it. It’s not a paradox. Still a fact!

I could vividly remember one of my previous editions on ‘Scentic Scenarios’, education to be precised. In that edition, I made mention of a fellow who was privileged to have a meeting notice pasted at his door-step, but he never cared to glance at it. Not even a perusal. And he was severely deformed and sidelined. In fact, he loss his long-lasted dignity in the community due to that.

Brethren, all hands must be on deck to put to stop this ongoing devastating phenomenon in Africa. The parents, teachers/lecturers, governments, NGOs and churches have a very vital role to play in their respective obligations. The media is not left out in this desirable and enormous task ahead. Our reading culture must be revived in earnest. ‘To be forewarned is to be forearmed’. The Lord is good, so He shall definitely see us through.



COMR. FRED NWAOZOR

frednwaozor@gmail.com





No comments:

Featured post

UZODINMA AND BUHARI’S ‘WORKING VISIT’ TO IMO

by Fred Nwaozor The last time I checked, Imo was conspicuously at it again, hence needs to be re-examined by all-concerned for the good ...

MyBlog

Language Translation

ARCHIVE