Monday 9 September 2013

The Nigerian society & its Poignant state

THE NIGERIAN SOCIETY AND ITS POIGNANT STATE AS THE ASUU STRIKE LINGERS

Brethren, amidst a certain city, comes the unannounced mist in the midst of the entire populace in spite of the early morning prayer presented to the Almighty for a friendly and easy going atmospheric condition. Though embarrassing and astonishing, but I remained calm. Lately I found out that many became extremely impatient and nervous thereby exploding having waited patiently for so long to hear something that’s of positive value from the horse’s mouth; a pathetic phenomenon that aroused or triggered my humble pen. Maybe I’ve been sounding poetic, but that wasn’t my intention. So if that’s the case, I sincerely beg for your pardon.

The last time I checked, I wholly understood beyond any reasonable doubt that no one would be a slave in his/her own home. In the same vein, I also came up with the view that, no right thinking individual would look into the eyes of his father and say, “you’re a fool!” regardless of the circumstance he might find himself.

I woke up this morning and subsequently I felt pain on one of my limbs, arm precisely. I searched thoroughly to find out what actually prompted the anomaly to no avail. Finally I concluded that such incident could be usual provided that one still lives or breathes. In other words, a dead body or a body in a comatose state can never feel pain on any part of the body. But don’t forget, some sudden pains are not usual; thus if that becomes the case, the person who feels such abnormal pain must as a matter of fact and urgency seek for a thorough diagnosis. Let’s ride on!

In Nigeria, taking the education sector as a case study, if we must tell ourselves nothing but the truth, you will quite agree with me that the sector in question has been in shambles for decades now thereby constituting unannounced pandemonium on a yearly basis. If you must permit me to speak, then I would summarily say that our education sector is simply nothing to write home about compare to others across the globe. You will bear me witness that since I’ve been in this business, I’ve never for once sounded personal in any of my view, and I will never do such a silly thing because it’s against my faith; therefore I sincerely believe that I’m convening the interest of most of us.

Truly without mincing words, the Nigerian society has been in a state of poignancy as regards the aforementioned sector. It’s no longer news that the Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU) has been in an industrial action for over two months now. According to the Union, its paramount reason for going on strike was due to the poor infrastructural facilities found in the universities across the federation. We all know that this is not the first time the body would be on strike. In fact, if I’m not mistaken the incidence has become an annual ritual in Nigeria.

Several meetings have been held between the federal government and ASUU coupled with various students unions’ protest in respect to putting an end to the ugly scene, all to no avail. The anomaly has attracted series of concerns from many concerned individuals and corporate bodies in the country thereby creating inconsequential antagonisms amongst various stakeholders. Honestly even the dumb have been forced to speak with regard to the ongoing devastating melodrama. Though few has chosen to remain silent and calm like a crocodile targeting a prey in the water. Despite all these, apparently it appears nothing has been done to restore normalcy.

At this juncture, I wish to ask a concise and simple question; which is, do we truly believe that our youths are the leaders of tomorrow or is it just a citation of no tangible value? I believe most of us know the answer to the question therefore I think I should rather put up a gospel truth.

A country like ours is no longer a child; thus, I don’t in any way expect it to be dancing to a child’s tune. For crying out loud, fifty three (53) years is not just fifty three days; in other words, such age it’s not a child’s play and ought not to be seen as one. On this note, I urge us to note that those who fought for the independence of this noble country were not fools; so the least they expect to hear even in their respective graves is that the present leaders dance makossa when they are meant to dance hip-hop or vice-versa. Think about it!



COMR. FRED NWAOZOR

frednwaozor@gmail.com

No comments:

Featured post

UZODINMA AND BUHARI’S ‘WORKING VISIT’ TO IMO

by Fred Nwaozor The last time I checked, Imo was conspicuously at it again, hence needs to be re-examined by all-concerned for the good ...

MyBlog

Language Translation

ARCHIVE