Tuesday 27 August 2013

My Tribute to Achebe

WHY AUTHORS OUGHT TO BE CONTINUALLY CELEBRATED: MY TRIBUTE TO ACHEBE

Brethren, even if I lack words, the thousands of pens lying in my household would continue to be unhappy if I remain silent. In other words, in most cases, silence could warrant a state of anarchy which may lead to unbearable mayhem or unimaginable massacre. Thus, these incessant fracases being witnessed almost on a daily basis on our roads could be attributable to the increasing rate of silence amongst our apex leaders.

Let’s take it this way. The last time I checked, millions of corpses belonging to various Nigerian citizens were peacefully or disturbingly lying in different morgue situated at strategic points across the federation. On this note, we are expected to realize that among these aforementioned corpses, some deserves to be given a thorough befitting burial to encourage and as well please billions of souls they mentored and left behind. Therefore in such circumstance, some of us who benefitted immensely from the deceased persons are expected not to be silent, rather ought to be chanting dirges coupled with eulogies in order to prove to the Chief mourners that we are also deeply touched by the forbidden departure.

Few days ago, one of my fans called from Orlu in Imo State to find out why she was yet to hear the outcry of my inks in respect to one of the global statesmen that just left the blessed earth. Having appreciated her concern, I sincerely asked her not to be in haste, stating that there’s time for everything. I further disclosed to her that my inks were still in comatose state, therefore lack words.

Beloved, we are discussing authors and why they should be continually celebrated. To start with, an author is a person who writes and compiles books.

You will bear me witness that the world would have remained blind or illiterate provided there is no profession known as writing. I always tell people and would continue to say it that, learning is not all about attending classes; it’s about telling yourself that you ought to know that which you’re yet and meant/bound to know. Summarily, learning can take place anywhere, and anytime. For such fact to be upheld, we must embrace reading. And, it’s no longer news that there’s nothing to be read if there’s nothing written. Thus, the chorus remains no writing, no reading. Q.E.D. In a nut shell, writing begets reading.

If truly that the globe cannot dwell successfully without embracing the writing profession, then what stops us from celebrating those found in such intense intellectual profession? To be frank and candid, writers/authors ought to be seen as God’s most leading messengers, therefore deserve to be regarded as apex celebrities. Honestly, the members of the writing profession are the people who are really liberating the universe from all sorts of bondages. Let’s ride on!

Having stated the fact that authors are global celebrities, I wish to use this avenue to sincerely inform us that some authors supersede others. This is what we call “hierarchy”. Yes, there are writers who are like gods to their fellow writers. And such set of people should not just be celebrated but ought to be immensely adored by all and sundry.

Few weeks ago, Thursday 21st March 2013 precisely, a global literary giant, Prof. Chinua Achebe who happened to be a member of the world’s leading stakeholders’ confraternity kicked the bucket leaving billions of immeasurable footprints behind, and alive too. Chinua Achebe (1930-2013) shot to the global literary stage with the iconic prose, “Things fall apart” in 1958. Presently his remains are peacefully lying in a morgue.

Sir, silver nor gold I’ve none, but I sincerely promise you that by His grace, my unborn great grand children shall live to chant eulogies in regard to your past worthwhile existence. And I shall live to proclaim the good gospel on the fathomless contributions you recorded towards the growth of mankind. I would have loved to financially contribute my quota as regards your forthcoming befitting burial.

Brethren, if I’m granted the room to earn my view in respect to the Late Professor Chinua Achebe’s forthcoming burial, I would say that the deceased deserves to be buried in a gold tomb. Mind you, I said “gold tomb” not golden tomb. Think about it!

____________________

COMR. FRED NWAOZOR

Social analyst & activist

No comments:

Featured post

UZODINMA AND BUHARI’S ‘WORKING VISIT’ TO IMO

by Fred Nwaozor The last time I checked, Imo was conspicuously at it again, hence needs to be re-examined by all-concerned for the good ...

MyBlog

Language Translation

ARCHIVE