Tuesday 27 August 2013

Nigerian Refineries

SCENIC SCENARIOS: THE WAY FORWARD (4)


If you’re a true Christian, what stops you from going through your copy of the holy bible at least every morning? If you’re a dedicated Muslim, you ought to be knowledgeable to acknowledge that, your Quran comes first as soon as you leave your noble bed. Or, are you a pagan? Then, I should assume that, you embraced your oracle at its chamber before leaving your lovely house/lodge this morning. Stick to it, you would see that the ‘Almighty is good’. As a devoted Christian, catholic to be precise, I said my rosary this morning as usual, coupled with my daily psalms. I don’t think I’m clowning, so, don’t see me as a clown; because, if every single soul in Nigeria sticks to its respective religious faith, then, these incessant barbarous and inhuman atrocities shouldn’t had taken place.

Honestly, without mincing words, the last time I checked, Nigeria was still an inhospitable nation due to the unnecessary use of those terrible and inhumane weapons. Yes, they had acted in an inhumane way and overstepped the limits of a democratic state. What an inhumanity!

Brethren, let’s leave the issue of security for the subsequent edition that would solely digest the security sector in Nigeria. Today, our concern is on refineries. But, I want to quickly inform you that, all these insecurity issues are attributed to only one thing, which is oil and gas (petroleum). Yes, the oil and gas sector has been constituting these series of dream-like thoughts that were solely initiated by those scattered technicoloured phantasmagorias. This is not scaremongering. It’s high time we faced reality, because, this is nothing but a fact. You might say I’m being scathing. But, I must tell you, the present state of loggerheads in the Nigerian state (society) is not just producing a political and economic morass, but as well, scatterbrains. I’m deeply afraid; this may lead to fathomless socio-economic miscarriages. Think about it.

Few days ago, someone called me on phone to find out why the sudden change of phone number on my column. He asked, “Does it has anything to do with security? “ I responded, “No, just a way forward.” He added, “…therefore, that should be one of the Scenic Scenarios? “ And, I replied, “…yes, my brother! “ Brethren, if rampant change of number could determine a serene environment, then, what stops me from changing thousands of them? I’m a patriotic Nigerian; therefore, my optimum concern should be way forward. And, this cannot be ascertained without tranquility. Thus, any right thinking Nigerian should be concerned with the success of the nation, or any society he/she belongs. When I was an undergraduate, at a point I was known by the name, “way forward”, because, I happened to be an advocate (a crusader) of that phrase. I used to preach it in every occasion I happened to be present. For that reason, most times, my fellow students/colleagues would walk up to me and asked, “FDN, what is the way forward? “ And, as God would have it, I was loaded with enormous information then, with the help of my position as a student leader. Yes, by His grace, I was a leader of various student unions.

It is deeply pathetic and disgusting to hear that a country like ours, which is tagged as the sixth most oil producing nation in the world, still buys the oil in question from other nation(s). Listen to this; something being drilled here happens to be refined elsewhere. Then, finally undergoes importation to ensure that its land of origin embraces its worthwhile products. How does it sound? Isn’t it apocryphal? Then, if this is the case, we’re just being vainglorious. Do the observation yourself and see if I’m truly communicating. Vainglorious posturing indeed!

The only way to stay out of this mess is to tell ourselves the truth. We must be transparent to ensure success. And, such requires total overhaul. Honestly, subsidy removal is not enough. It’s not the best or even one of the best steps. We all know the best step that is why I began this paragraph with the above remark; telling ourselves nothing but the truth. We shouldn’t look unto God; we can redeem the situation. Yes, the redeemer lies in our bare hands. Please, don’t misunderstand me; I mean we have the ability, or what it takes. The only thing we’re meant to do is to apply it. Let’s do the application. I bet you, it’ll surely work. Or, should I emphasize on how the application should be done.

There are already existing refineries across the federation; name them. All we need to do is to revive them, regardless of how much it would cost us. Even if it would cost us our fortune, it shouldn’t be of any stress. Therefore, no one is expected to be selfish while the implementation is going on. The capital for the revival is already there; it’s available. Even without the removal of oil subsidy, it can be actualized. Yes, we worth more



than what the situation requires. Our only problem is nothing but corruption. But, we can put it to stop if we truly mean business. Thank God, we’ve detected the actual fault. So, it’s easy to solve the problem.

Don’t forget, a country like Nigeria shouldn’t be selling oil to the citizenry, rather, should be sold for free of charge. Believe me, it’s our entitlement. The only monetary involvement that ought to be attached to the oil/gas price is tax. Yes, the indirect tax that is expected to be paid by the populace/individuals. Our great leaders should please save us from these moments of extraordinary poignancy. How can one have (possess) abundant cooking oil in the kitchen, but still cook without oil. Doesn’t it sound ridiculous?

Brethren, see you next week on security!

_____________________

COMR. FRED NWAOZOR

Social analyst & activist







No comments:

Featured post

UZODINMA AND BUHARI’S ‘WORKING VISIT’ TO IMO

by Fred Nwaozor The last time I checked, Imo was conspicuously at it again, hence needs to be re-examined by all-concerned for the good ...

MyBlog

Language Translation

ARCHIVE