Wednesday 7 August 2013

NIGERIAN DEMOCRACY

   NIGERIAN DEMOCRACY AND ITS BUREAUCRATIC SETTING
       It’s no longer news that even lecherous or randy men pose as saints. Moreso, I’m also of the view that most clerical messages or crusades could be mere bunch of deceits.
        Maybe the above expression is a bit vague, thus let’s have it this way. Lately, I’ve come to realize that virtually everyone has suddenly turned fake thereby constituting fake products. I’m quite sure this observation is not personal, therefore I anticipate that others would dance to my tune.
       Few nights ago, I hosted a guest whose visit was unannounced in my Owerri residence though I received a signal from him through a phone call barely few seconds prior to his arrival. The mode of the visit was not shocking to my person due to the nature of my activity as a humanitarian/activist. What was of paramount concern to me was the object of the unplanned visit. Honestly to my greatest amazement; unlike the young man in question, he began his speech with a remark that was of more socio-economic value. He told me with a soaring look that the Nigerian democracy would never grow as expected if it fails to desist from bureaucracy. He concluded by telling me that what prompted the observation was a political gathering he embraced before embarking on his trip to my place of residence. I won’t tell you what I told him. Nevertheless we’re here to discuss democracy coupled with bureaucracy. Let’s ride on!
        Previously I have written on democracy coupled with technocracy which I tagged as a welcome phenomenon that ought to be emulated. Today on a different angle, our interest lies in democracy coupled with bureaucracy; I’m afraid, this may not be a worthwhile phenomenon as we presume.
        Still on my usual definition; democracy is a system of government in which the people have a say in who should hold power and on how they ought to be governed. Whilst, bureaucracy can be defined as an excessively complicated administrative procedure.
       Yes bureaucracy might favour me as a person, but that won’t stop me from publicly earning my view on the fact that same ingredient that could be beneficial to my individual self is harmful to our economy. Of course, the national interest is expected to supersede my individual/personal interest. Frankly speaking; taking Nigerian as a case study, bureaucracy has drastically done more harm than good to her economic status.
        To start with; can someone kindly tell me the prime essence of having up to ten administrators in a certain section/department that can be comfortably handled by just two personnel. Above that, must every officer in our political sector be entitled to a Special Adviser (SA) talk more of having up to three or more SAs? The most devastating aspect of this is the issue of accommodating three or more ministers/officers as the case may be, in a certain position. Even at the National Assembly, what’s the need of having two different chambers? Well, I’m just thinking aloud! 
         I may have been sounding abstract so far; so let me come down to this level. To be candid, the various offices managed by the respective African states/nations, Nigerian in particular, are too crowded with inconsequential number of administrators/personnel yet we end up achieving little, or more pathetically nothing, at the end of the day. For crying out loud, it’s of no use littering our noble offices all in the name of “Share the money.” It’s deceit and such act is evil; and could kill since it’s targeted at maiming the innocent economy. I know most of us are ignorant of the nature of damage this kind of practice brings to us, that’s why I’m using this avenue to broaden our mindset.
         There’s no need speaking further since the message has been sent, and as well understood as I presume. If more must be said in addition, then I would say we should kindly search our respective consciences in order to put to an end these fake practices being witnessed in our noble society. Enough of these losses and excesses. Think about it!

COMR. FRED NWAOZOR
Social analyst & activist
____________________
            +2348099250401

No comments:

Featured post

UZODINMA AND BUHARI’S ‘WORKING VISIT’ TO IMO

by Fred Nwaozor The last time I checked, Imo was conspicuously at it again, hence needs to be re-examined by all-concerned for the good ...

MyBlog

Language Translation

ARCHIVE