Tuesday 27 August 2013

Nigerian Health Sector

SCENIC SCENARIOS: THE WAY FORWARD (2)


We are still discussing the avenues that ought to be embraced by the Nigerian government to ensure that, vision 20:20:20 becomes a reality, or to ascertain a developed society. In the previous edition under same topic, we extensively discussed the power sector. This edition shall be discussing the health sector exclusively.

Since my last edition on power, I’ve been receiving series of reactions/opinions, though positive. The most remarkable one was the text message that came from one of the ladies. In her remarks, she said, apart from being a journalist, she feels more comfortable addressing me as an educator. I screwed down to get the full gist. She added that, from her view so far, she observed that, my major interest in journalism is education; stating that, I pay great attention in educating people through my journalistic prowess. She concluded with the clause; “ keep it up! ” Honestly, the lady was right. I believe the best way to educate people is to hide under the umbrella of the media so you can reach out to the entire public; and, this is what I’ve been doing ever since I found myself in journalism. So, this topic, so far so good, is mainly interested in the government, federal govt to be precise. Let’s ride on!

Health is a state in which you’re fit and well. In other words, it’s the condition of one’s body. So, a healthy person/animal is well, therefore, not suffering from any illness. Moreso, if you’re healthy, you could be described as a hearty person. A hearty individual is cheerful and energetic. In a nut shell, if one is hearty, he/she is automatically healthy, and vice-versa.

Frankly speaking, our intimate prognosis will never come to past if this area (health) that deals directly with people’s life or welfare is not adequately and specially considered. Of course, I’m not kidding because it’s a fact. Yes, a fancy fact!

One fateful weekend, saturday precisely, at about nine in the morning (9.00 am), the message tone of my humble handset rang to inform me that an sms just came in. I opened my inbox to find out the content of the message, and as well, who sent it. The sender happened to be one of my best friends; based in Abuja. And the message reads, “ Gud moni FDN,” I’m popularly known by that name/initials (FDN) and that is what most of my bossom friends call me. Sorry for the break in transmission. The sms continues, “...I’m typing this message from a hospital seat, government hospital to be precised. But, the worst of it is that no medical personnel is ready to attend to any patient. According to them, they’re on sit down strike. And I’m seriously ill. My condition requires an urgent diagnosis. Please, what should I do? “ After the perusal, I was deeply touched by the mood of the sms. I quickly dialed his number and luckily for me, the call went through. I asked him to leave the hospital immediately for a private hospital. He responded that, since his adulthood, he had never patronized any private hospital. According to him, their staff are bunch of quacks and he wouldn’t like a quack to take care of him,. To worsen it, he concluded that the laboratory machines of those hospitals are not trustworthy. I wasn’t meant to argue with him; my optimum interest was his health condition. Still on the phone conversation, I let him know that, he had no choice, therefore, must dance to my tune. He saw reason with me and decided to leave for a near-by private hospital. To cut the story short; he was treated in a private hospital, and was discharged that same day.

Brethren, what prompted the above story was the issue of rampant strike or industrial action that takes place in our various government hospitals. If hospitals in any given nation/country continually embark on industrial action(s), then, the lives of the citizenry are at stake, and cannot be guaranteed. It’s a shame! Yes, very shameful and disgusting phenomenon. This simply means, we’re still living in the past; the era of, “ you’re on your own, “ in terms of medical attention. It looks like a mere dream or cock and bull story for one to be informed that, a country like ours that is richly blessed with both human and natural resources is still living in the past.

Believe me, in this country, there’re adequate hands that can put any medical (health) situation to stop. Most of our medical personnel are qualified for this; some of them has even left the country for else-where in search of government that truly (sincerely) appreciates the importance of life or man-power. Brethren, our only problem in the health sector is nothing but inadequate infrastructure and medical facilities, coupled with poor incentives for the personnel.

If I die while preaching this gospel, I’d be happy in the grave because I succeeded in passing the message. Yes, the evangelism has been actualized. But, I shall not die; I shall live to profess His goodness and mercy.

Let’s tell ourselves the truth; total overhaul is required in the Nigerian health sector. Nigeria is old and too rich for this continual experience of tokenism. Yes, most times the medical labourers participate in a strike not because they truly want to be part of it, but because, they were asked or mandated to do so. Most of them believe in watching others fight on their behalf; we shy away from our responsibilities. The government should please save this set of people from this on-going moment of terror.

Let’s begin with the infrastructural phase. The dilapidated structures in the name of hospitals scattered all over the nuks and crannies ought to be automatically renovated. The proprietors of the private hospitals should also be mandated to carry-out such action. A hospital building and environment should be the most decent structure and area respectively in any given country. It’s a place where, by the special grace of God, lives are being saved, so, at all time, should deserve to be given honourable mentions.

And, for the members of, or workers in the various hospitals to be hospitable, they should be cartered for. The government should from time to time pump in incentives to encourage the medical/health workers (staff). Yes, they must look good to be cheerful and accommodating. And, one cannot look good if his/her welfare is at stake. I must confess; the government is trying to the best of my knowledge. But, additional effort is needed to ensure that, more smiles are ascertained in this great nation.

The last, but not the least, our hospitals should be well equipped. Out-dated equipment should be thrown to the bush. Yes, that’s where they belong. An efficient monitoring team should be set-up to ensure that, the private hospitals/clinics follow suit. Adequate and more valid medical machines (devices) should from time to time be imported. Believe me, our industrious engineers can even do the manufacturing if financially supported. And, this shall save us many stress as regards importation. It’s hightime the high-class citizens stopped leaving our noble country for others for the sake of medical check-up or treatment. Rather, they should contribute in reviving our health sector because all hands must be on deck. Even the number one citizen of the country patronizes the hospitals in other nations; what a shame! All these pathetic practices or indulgences are attributed to lack of, or inadequate medical equipment in our various hospitals/clinics.

Brethren, honestly the time to act is now. Don’t forget, bunch of tyros are not required if this must be actualized. And, of course, tyrant should never be found in the picture because we don’t need despotism or tyranny. Mind you, these vicarious pleasures ought to stop immediately.

See you next week for the subsequent edition on education. But, before then, you can send your reactions on this or any of the previous editions. Please, I advise you go by text messages. I promise to get back to you as soon as I receive your sms. Meanwhile, say no to procrastination!



COMR. FRED NWAOZOR

Social analyst & activist

_____________________

frednwaozor@gmail.com

No comments:

Featured post

UZODINMA AND BUHARI’S ‘WORKING VISIT’ TO IMO

by Fred Nwaozor The last time I checked, Imo was conspicuously at it again, hence needs to be re-examined by all-concerned for the good ...

MyBlog

Language Translation

ARCHIVE